Friday, March 14, 2008

Things start taking a turn...

I'm thinking at this point I need a job. I've got no money, so of course I need a job. I was at a total loss as to what to do though. UPS payed well and sounded good....if by "sounding good" I mean I get to wake up at 3 a.m. and load trucks all day. No thanks. Postal worker? Too many tests and the waiting line to get that job is out the door. I'm seeing a trend here. I like delivering mail. I visited a guy I'd worked with the summer before to see the addition he was putting on his house and as he opened up his door, his eyes lit up. He explained that he had wanted to get a hold of me and asked me how I'd like a $40,000 a year job. Seriously? If job searches only lasted a week and ended like this, forget college. Who needed it? God had completely placed this one in my lap. Now, let me back up a couple days. I'd been at church earlier in the week and had met this guy named Scott who was the facilities supervisor at Fellowship Alliance Chapel. A women introduced us and said there was an opening on facilities. I thought it sounded cool and he told me to give him a call later in the week and he'd set up an interview. So, here I am standing here at this guy's door and FAC Facilities is the last thing on my mind at that point. It's funny how money will attract you and blind you to things. I gladly accepted his offer and after two interviews down in southern New Jersey, I had a job at an architecture/building firm. It was awesome. I got to go from job to job and oversee how the project was going. I did some manual labor which was totally to be expected of the new guy. I ran errands to Home Depot and Lowe's. Etc. Etc. Etc. My favorite part was contacting our builders and suppliers and talking to them. I loved working with people. My first two weeks went great. Then I got my first paycheck. I thought there had been a mistake. I was making about a quarter of what I thought I was supposed to make. In the next couple days, things started coming together to paint me a very clear picture that I was not supposed to be at this company. Finally, my last day there, my friend and I were sitting in the truck at a job and he looked at me and started apologizing. He said he didn't know it was going to be this way and if I wanted to leave he totally understood. He wasn't in charge of this company so he had made an offer that the owner of the company didn't know about. I can't put the blame on anyone but myself. I heard the dollar amount and I was sold without really listening to the rest. So, here I am, down near Cape May sitting in the pickup truck, calling Scott at FAC. Unbelievable.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love a good cliffhanger......