Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I don't believe in coincidence

I got an e-mail tonight that came at the most ridiculous time. The topic was trust. I think we, or at least I, tend to overlook the verse found in Proverbs 3:5. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." It goes on to say "in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." Back to the first part of that verse. Not only do I overlook that verse, but I think I overlooked a HUGE part of that verse. It's a simple word really, but the meaning of it is so big. The word "all". It doesn't say part. It doesn't say most of. It says, ALL of it. You know how hard that is? I can't trust that my car is going to start every morning, but I don't walk out at 7:45 a.m. and say "Alright car, I'm going to knock your grill out if you don't start." No. I walk out to it, get in it, and start it. Simple as that. I don't question it. Just like I don't question the ground I walk on. Even better yet. I don't question the air I breathe, but I know it's there. So why do we find it so hard to trust God? Easy. We place our trust in people, and they fail us. Therefore we put that same type of faith in God. We're scared because we've been failed so many times. So how do you get past that? Not as easy as figuring out why we don't trust in the first place, that's for sure. I think for me, I had to stop looking at what the world thought. Believe it or not, I think these two things are related for me. I get so caught up in what the world thinks and what the world wants me to do, that I start placing my trust in others to lead me to do what's right. Meanwhile, I shut out that voice in the back of my head saying "I'll still be here when you decide to hear me out." Easier said than done right? Seriously, I know. I still pray every day for God to help me trust. For Him to help me see things that I normally wouldn't see in order to help me realize He has a handle on everything in my life. I struggle. I mess up. I'm the doubter who questions God's move in my life because I don't think it fits. I forget sometimes that He's perfect, and I'm not even close. My prayer today is first and foremost, forgiveness. That God forgives me for my shortcomings. And within that, God forgives me for not completely trusting Him. I know I can trust Him, I just lose sight of that sometimes.

No comments: