Monday, March 10, 2008

Can it be called Reminiscent?

I ask this because I don't think looking back to 2 years ago is all too reminiscent. I want everyone who reads this to understand who I was then, and who I am now. I feel like this will take more than one entry to help you gain a better view of what God has done, and continues to do. My story begins in 2000. I was a junior in high school heading in to my senior year and since summer school was all the rage, I decided to give it a shot. Like all bad relationships, I couldn't get enough of algebra, so we continued our courtship in to the month of July. One afternoon I gave a ride home to a friend of mine and while dropping him off he invited me to a party at his house later that night. O.k, so as harmless as this sounds, this is where my life took a turn. I look at it now and realize that spark started a fire that smoldered for 6 years until it ripped my life apart my senior year of college. I told him I would be there later (though I had no intention of being there) and he told me to hang on a minute. He came out moments later with 2 beers in his hand. He gave them to me saying "Just in case you don't make it back." I said thanks, and was on my way. I'd never drank before in life, and here I was at 18 years old, and I had not just one, but two beers in my possession. It was exhilarating. Breaking the law will do that to a young guy. I wasn't a bad kid. In fact, I was on the high school worship team, I was heading in to my senior year as a starter on the varsity baseball team, and I was very very active in my youth group. For a moment though, I lost sight of what was good for me. I don't blame this on anyone but myself. I made that decision to take those bottles. So, I took them home and cracked the first one. Seriously, I don't know who reads this, but the first time you have a beer....it's awful. Especially when you have no idea what to expect. You know what's crazy? I have no idea where the cap to that Corona went. I later that day realized I'd left it in the sink, but I'm guessing it went down the drain because no one ever found it. I couldn't stand the thought of drinking another one, so I brought it to my other friend's house down the street and gave it to him and he split it with yet a third friend of ours. It's amazing how fast sin travels. It was a while after that that I even had my second drink of alcohol. I started buying from a friend of mine in high school. This is where things started getting tough. Working at church, paying for liquor, worship team, baseball, church, youth group, friends, American Legion baseball, the list goes on. I was working hard to hold things together. Again, no one could have had any idea what was going on. From the outside, I was perfect. Yeah, my grades weren't all that great, but I attributed that to not liking school. Otherwise, I was it. I have this memory that will be with me for the rest of my life. I was leaving school one day, and it's almost like it was planned. It was just me walking out of school (I was leaving early), and right by the gym, my friend who's older brother got us alcohol was standing there with his back to the wall with one leg propped up. He started laughing because he knew I was skipping out early and as I got closer I asked when his brother would next be home. He said that weekend. I asked what he would have, got what I wanted, and turned to walk away. As I looked back to tell him I'd see him tomorrow, he had resumed his post on the wall. "See you tomorrow man. I'll have your money then." I think the reason this memory is burned in to my mind so vividly is because this was the last time I ever saw him. Those were my last words to him. He died later that afternoon in a one car accident. My lasting impact on him was nothing more than a business relationship. I promised myself it would be a long long time before I ever drank again. I couldn't bear the thought of him standing there while I walked out of school, to live another day. It was a long time before I drank again. It wasn't long enough though.

No comments: