Thursday, January 17, 2008

What would you do with 210 million dollars?

I was sitting in the office today with Scott and we started talking about whether FAC (our current employer Fellowship Alliance Chapel) would accept a donation if it came from winning the lottery. Now, this decision will never have to be made in my case because I don't think God would want to entrust me with 210 million dollars. If he did I might get ridiculous and spend it on something stupid like a new Ferrari 430 Scuderia. But, in our dream world, here's what we came up with. I would pay off my debt, anything owed to my parents or by my parents to anyone else. Hopefully both parents could be retired then ;) I'd cut checks to my sister and brother to use as they see fit. I would find some different ways to donate to families in need. I'd get married. I'd have my own house built (I'd want to be part of the project) that would be big enough for me, my future wife, and kids. A 3 car garage with two "normal" cars, and one "fun" car (see above mentioned Ferrari). The biggest thing I could think of though was tithing. 10% seems like such a small number, so we all talked about giving more. I'm not saying all this to make us sound good because we all pretty much said the same exact thing as the next guy. The issue of pride did come up though. Even if you did do all that anonymously, there's still a sense of pride there. It's like "Look at what I did." That would be so hard to avoid. I was wondering what other people would do. How would they handle being thrust on to such a big stage. I wouldn't want that life though. I'm so happy with the life I have now. I love what God has entrusted me with thus far in my life. He's given me so much more than I could have imagined. But again, the question begs. How do you get out of the way of yourself and not be prideful when it comes to giving? I know there's no real answer to that, but that's kind of how we left things this afternoon. Haha, bunch of maintenance men sitting around in an office talking about winning the lottery. Seriously, we do work at FAC. Sometimes.


Oh yeah, Scott wanted a plane and a helicopter instead of cars. He's the aviator amongst us. That's why he's boss. He's different.

No comments: